Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Safety

I feel that I live what would be considered a “safe” life. Society tells me that to do otherwise is putting myself at too great of a risk. I should be looking out for myself and live my life wearing a metaphorical helmet to protect myself from any contingency which may arise. To live a safe life though seems to be a life not lived at all. Right now I am safe and it is suffocating me. Climbing is the one things that loosens the hands around my neck to the point where I am living again.

God did not intend for us to be safe. God isn’t even safe. C.S. Lewis hit it square on the nose when he talked about this in the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Mr. Beaver describes Aslan, a representation of Jesus, as not safe, but good. Then we are reminded later when it is said of Aslan that he is wild.

I worship a God who is wild, unsafe, and yet completely good. This brings relief in that fact that I should not live life in safety. I can only find safety in God who promises not to keep me safe, but to give me life and still promises to take care of my needs.

No comments: